Monday, January 10, 2005

Oh Lord. Here we go again.

As the political wheels of the United States continue to churn away, I got an email from a friend asking why I felt so strongly about saying Merry Christmas, rather than Happy Holidays.

Umm.... because it's Christmas????

Just how painful does the brick that hits one on the head need to be to get that one through one's skull? If I were Jewish, I would say Happy Hanukkah. If I were a practicing Muslim, it would be Happy Ramadan. Or of African derivation, it would be Good Kwanzaa. (Please excuse my spelling, as it is quite possible I blew it on those :)

I care not in the least if you wish to practice those religions. Any of them. All of them. None of them. My priest was asked about using the sign of the cross. I'm Anglican. He said - "All can, some do, none must." Wise words. I have discovered that the only action commonly tolerated nowadays is intolerance.

It was said to me that I don't want to celebrate Christmas. Ok - so don't. They said, I don't want to see anything to do with Christmas, as I am an athiest. I said - Ok - so gouge out your eyes, and plug your ears. Let's be realistic. You could no more avoid the hoopla that has become Christmas any more than you can avoid death and taxes... unless you move to Pago Pago or something where the Christian religion is outlawed. However, that place is NOT HERE. Well, not yet. They're working on it.

A very close look at the Constitution of the United States says as follows:

The following was taken from http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The person sponsoring the site adds this:

Amendment 1 - Freedom of religion, press

In my opinion, the single most important part of the Constitution. Some of the first colonists of the nation for which the Constitution was written had been seeking to escape religious persecution. The constitutions of several of the states prohibited public support of religion. And above all, the many varying sects of Christianity in America required that to be fair to all, there could be preference to none. It would have been discraceful for anyone to wish to leave the United States because of religious persecution. So they decided it best to keep the government out of religion. Now, this is not to say that the United States was not or is not a religious one. Religion plays a big role in the everyday life of Americans, then and now. But what they were striving for is tolerance... something I fear contemporary Americans are lacking.

Boy, that's a mouthful. Play it again Sam.

In a nutshell, it is my belief that if you don't like my God, go find your own. BUT - by constitutional mandate, you can't infringe on my right to honor, worship, speak to, or speak about my God. Period. It says that "... Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." However, it doesn't say squat about not honoring one. Look at a dollar bill. In God we trust. You don't like it? Move to Canada or Mexico. No In God we Trust there.

I don't have a problem with diversity. I do have a problem with intolerance. The left side of the isle doesn't like it if I get pissed about one of their beliefs. But God help me if I say God - (however if I say Praise Allah, or for that matter Thank Pitchforks and pointed ears... I'd be in the pink.)

Bah. Humbug. Bite me. So there, neener neener. (I can be childish too.) Now I have to take my ball and go home.

Until next time - Your obedient servant :)

No comments: